Monday 6 October 2014

It's Monday- what are you reading?


Pop over to The Book Journey to see what everyone is reading this week.

It's our anniversary today- and although my husband hates all the books around the house he bought me a copy of The Gone Girl. I'd said that I fancied going to see the film and he was listening and went to get me a copy of the book! I've read that the film is very true to the book- so maybe I need to leave the film for a few days until I've had the chance to read the book first.


Burn- James Patterson.

Detective Michael Bennett finally returns to New York City - and to the most unsettling, horrific case of his career.

At last, Detective Michael Bennett and his family are coming home to New York City. Thanks to Bennett, the ruthless crime lord whose vengeful mission forced the Bennett family into hiding has been brought down for good.

Back in the city that never sleeps, Bennett takes over a chaotic Outreach Squad in Harlem, where he receives an unusual call: a man claims to have seen a group of well-dressed men holding a bizarre party in a condemned building. With no clear crime or evidence, Bennett dismisses the report. 

But when a charred body is found in that very same building, he is forced to take the caller seriously - and is drawn into an underground criminal world of terrifying depravity.




.

I still want to read the latest James Patterson- in the hope that it finds him on top form again. I don't like his partnership with some authors and some of the series seem a little tired now. But on the whole I enjoy the Michael Bennett series. I actually didn't enjoy the last book in this series- I don't tend to be that keen on the gangland stories so much. I did really enjoy this one with his return to NY. He'd upset his new boss previously and finds himself put in charge of a unit investigating all the crimes no one else wants to look at with a team of detectives who also come out of the pool that no one else wants! He makes an impression on them and starts to motivate them to be the police force they want to be. They want to solve the crimes and make a difference. Alongside this he is assigned to a series of jewellery heists with other crimes being wrapped in!

6 comments:

  1. That's a good husband! A book for your anniversary! :-)

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO the same with you re James Patterson. I know his partnerships must give a lot of writers a start, but.... well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thoughtful husband! I loved the Gone Girl book, haven't seen the movie yet though

    Enjoy your selections this week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have not read Gone Girl, but I am a new GFC follower today. :-)

    Guy Vestal @ Counter Culture Critic - My Monday

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love it when my husband buys me books. I read Gone Girl a couple of months back and loved it!! Hope you enjoy it too.

    Here's my Monday - http://bmariebooks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! It's nice to have husbands who indulge our bookish ways. :)

    ReplyDelete